Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What can you pay monthly for workshop space?
$20 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
$40 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
$60 27%  27%  [ 6 ]
$80 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
$100 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
$120 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: OK folks, let's get serious about money.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Theo, I've sent a PM to Paul to ask if he could send a mass email to members inviting them to participate in this poll. I agree this is a key issue; let's see if Paul can do this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:55 am 
Site Admin

I am going to wait to talk about it on Wednesday with the group.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:31 pm 

The problem for me, right now, is that there's a huge disparity between what I'd be willing to pay and what I'm able to pay. (That whole unemployed thing)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am 

at this point there aren't a lot of folks for whom money isn't tight, so what you CAN pay right now is more important than what you'd like to, or think you should pay.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 am 
Site Admin

I am not trying to be rude here, but if you have a paying membership, we will start to exclude people, it is as simple as that.

If we start out with a high rate like 70-80 dollars some people will be able to make it, others won't but we will be able to grow, pay the bills, and purchase stuff in the future, if we keep it low around 20-30 dollars we are going to be struggling for rent each month.

I think it is unfortunate that we have to but if we don't have a high rate we will not survive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 am 

I think it would be good to be able to have a tiered rate, especially in this economy. One at between 60-80, and one half price, for people who are students (easily provable) or un/under-employed (not so easily provable). The lower end would have more to contribute in terms of time, though, which would be just as crucial to the longevity of our group/space as finances are. We cannot discount the importance of that. Hell, I would even consider subsidizing a membership or two to make us viable at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 am 

paulsobczak wrote:
I think it is unfortunate that we have to but if we don't have a high rate we will not survive.

Membership fees aren't the only possible income stream, though. They're just the easiest money figure to understand. And some sort of sliding scale should be quite do-able.

Also, as soon as we gel up organizationally, and have a physical place to go & get work done, the number of paying members will snowball.
"If You Build It, They Will Come." :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:56 am 

oh i dont' disagree at all paul in principle, we WILL exclude folks, but we need to look at how many we're excluding, and if that's a wise choice. at the 80 point though we LOSE not only money, but a lot of members.

the point of the poll was to get an idea of several things:

1) how many people do we have _willing_ to pay

2) at what price point do we include the most but still generate the most cash

i.e. right now if we go at each price point we have the following(at time of posting):

$ members income
20 13 260
40 11 440
60 7 420
80 3 240
100 1 100

of course these numbers will shift, and aren't a scientifically representative view of all interested parties, but 40-60 is clearly a sweet spot and if we do go at 80, we're in a *much* worse spot than if we go at 60 or 40. we'd have significantly less funds (via this model). personally i'm leaning toward 40 if you're FTE, 20 for students or under employed (although you can always pay the full rate) until we actually have bills to pay, and an idea of how many bodies we have, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:03 pm 

I personally am at a stage of my life where I have no idea what the next month/semester will bring, let alone tomorrow. Funds for me are erratic at best, some weeks no money, some weeks lots, so to be able to keep up with monthly payments might be difficult. (I make sever payments, phone, and insurance payments all in one-time payments each year). I am just a student, but I would prefer to make larger one-time contributions, as these are easier to come-by. I know churches use a promised-giving approach to fund expansions that banks generally take into account when providing financing. I would like to make a pledge for the first year. It seems to me that as the funds become available, I can keep marching towards a goal that I set for the year. This would also make it easier to get an idea of the funds that we have to work with within the first year. Generally in these campaigns, for the amount of under-contributing, there is about the same amount of over-contributing. Since we don't have a place immediately available to us anyways, it might provide a reasonable time line.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:16 pm 

medios:

that's a great point, and something that we need to look at as an option. because at this point we *don't* have a budget or much of a notion of one until we get a discussion going about it we may be stuck at x per month til we get a home, although i suspect that as we set that up we could set up something like or 10x per year until we get a home at which point the remainder gets prorated towards an upgrade (or downgrade) in fees.

personally i'd liek to see annual, monthly and intermittent fees structures, possibly on a sliding scale or with a student/unemployed discount.

that's exacly the sort of reason we need these committees proposed in the other thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next