Site Logo

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sandblasting Station
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:46 pm 

Today I picked up new rubber blasting gloves for the abandoned sandblasting unit.

My plan is to build a cart for it, so its at a nice useable height (and can be wheeled around to where its needed).
May also make room on the cart for one of the smaller compressors and wire it for a master on/off switch (lights and compressor on one switch and a long extension cord.

Picked up some #70 grit alum oxide too. It works well for prepping steel for welding and prep after weld for paint.

Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Station
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Nice, do we need some sort of sand gun then (never used one).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:32 pm 

Nope, there is one with the station. The rubber on it is shot, but the gun looks fine. Going to put a new siphon feed and quick disconnect air line on it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 pm 
Global Moderator

The Sandblaster was not quite abbandoned, I did list it as a tool on loan I believe when I brought it down there a month after we started, but I do not ever intend to take it back, unless we are going to toss it or we did not last the first year...

It could also use a light and the plexi is faded....but neither is a major deal.

The gun tip should last a while, it is Ceramic, but volume determines that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 pm 

i had no idea we even had this.

We should get this added to the asset database with correct attribution to Booka.

I can't wait to see this up and running, sounds like a useful addition to the space, and I imagine using it would be.. a blast.

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am 
Global Moderator

At this point, make it a donation, I just did not want it to get disposed of, but adding the gloves adds more value than the unit is worth, so it is now property of TCMaker.

We used to have a google doc with the items donated, loaned and just for limited sharing at the HF, but things have changed much since the first few months of being at the space..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:12 am 

great to know we have one. They can be quite handy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 am 

Hope to have it up and running by the end of the weekend. Cart may have to wait a few weeks.

Going to write up instructions for changing the blast media and what works best for differnt applications.

Aluminum Oxide Blasting Media

Aluminum Oxide is a sharp, long-lasting abrasive sandblasting cutting media that can be re-used many times for grit blasting. As an abrasive blasting media, it is harder than most common dry abrasive blast media and will cut even the hardest metals and surfaces. This particular abrasive blasting media comes in a wide range of sizes.

White Aluminum Oxide Blasting Media

White Aluminum Oxide is a 99.5% ultra-pure grade of blasting media. White Aluminum Oxide is increasingly being used in critical, high performance processes such as microdermabrasion. White Aluminum Oxide is also required where contamination from other metal oxides must be kept to a minimum.

Corn Cob Blasting Media

Corn Cob is a biodegradable blast media that will not etch or warp surface being blasted. Ideal for applications such as wood log homes and thin metals and plastics.

Crushed Glass Grit

Crushed Glass Grit is a silica-free consumable abrasive that offers aggressive surface profiling and removal of a variety of coatings. Manufactured from 100% recycled bottle glass, Crushed Glass Grit produces a whiter, cleaner finish relative to mineral/slag abrasives.

Glass Beads Blasting Media

Creating a softer, brighter finish than angular abrasives, Glass Beads offer a silica-free option for shot blasting, peening, honing, cleaning and light deburring. Glass Beads can be recycled up to 30 times.

Urea Blasting Media

Available in a variety of sizes, Urea, Acrylic, Polyester and Melamine Plastic Abrasives are ideal for applications such as auto restoration to deliver a high stripping rate without damage or warping of the substrate.

Pumice Blasting Media

Pumice is the softest of all the blasting media yet still offers excellent stripping properties. Excellent for blasting surfaces such as soft wood to remove paint and coatings with no impact on the substrate.

Silicon Carbide Blasting Media

Silicon Carbide is the hardest blasting media available. Silicon carbide has a very fast cutting speed and can be recycled and re-used many more times that either sand or aluminum oxide. The hardness of silicon carbide allows for much shorter blast times and lower overall cost per hour relative to other blast media.

Steel Grit Blasting Media

Steel Grit is an angular carbon steel designed for quick and effective removal of surface contaminants from metals. Softer than Aluminum Oxide and less likely to fracture, Steel Grit leaves an etched surface superior for adhesion of paints and coatings.

Steel Shot Blasting Media - too large for our booth

Steel Shot is ideal for peening applications to impart a clean, smooth and polished finish. This dense, smooth shot can be used up to 3,000 times producing minimal dust during the blasting process increased compressive strength of the metal.

Walnut Shells Blasting Media

Walnut Shell Grit is the most versatile of the organic media due to its angular, durable shape yet is still considered a soft media. Use as an economical, biodegradable alternative for sensitive blasting operations that require aggressive stripping without affect on the substrate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:50 pm 

I got glass bead and fine walnut polishing medium. I have a small rollie cart for it now. Just need to bring it in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:58 am 

It's worth noting that the walnut material creates dust (yes, even when used in a cabinet) that is highly dangerous to people with nut allergies (like myself). It should be used only near the air cleaner (and obviously, with the air cleaner running).

Not being a pain, I'd just like to keep breathing. I discovered the dangers of airborne nut dust during a field trip to the Pearson's Nut Roll factory, having to leave in an ambulance.