Site Logo

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: lounge lizards and code wizards
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:13 pm 

I'm sorry if HMMM cant find the time or people to take the 15 min and move the benches and saws along the wall. The entire wood shop would take up 3 feet along the long wall (it was designed that way).

The people screwed in this are the medal workers. But if we have to keep that by the garage door I don't see much we can do about it.

This is the space we have. We can certainly make it work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 pm 
Global Moderator

Judeling wrote:
I'm sorry if HMMM cant find the time or people to take the 15 min and move the benches and saws along the wall. The entire wood shop would take up 3 feet along the long wall (it was designed that way).

The people screwed in this are the medal workers. But if we have to keep that by the garage door I don't see much we can do about it.

This is the space we have. We can certainly make it work.

Admittedly I haven't been there in a couple months so have no idea what's new in the space, when I left it was more than a 15 minute job to clear out that space.

Do the hmmm people necessarily know what can move where, I know I wouldn't feel comfortable coming in there and just shoving stuff around.

But whatever, it's no longer my space, you guys will work it out, or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

@Jude and Noise

I think that last Handmade music went rather well, thanks for your help moving things around too Mr. Jude.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 pm 

I think HMMM could work either in the room that shall not be named, or the shop area. I think along with the "all the needs piece of paper", and proper floor plan, and a mobility / re-config floor plan would be excellent aids to accommodate various size groups.

I didn't know what to expect for HMMM, it barely fit in the classroom, and to Jude's point it could certainly have been in the main space. I think the flexible use thing will work fine, but I know I would need to look at the calendar to plan accordingly, was HMMM on the calendar? The shop activities might have needed to change, I know some of use reorganized the tools as we listened.

I know our welding class had to get a member to move his project for awhile so we could use the metal space last weekend.

I think if there's a "here's how to reconfigure plan" and attention to using the calendar for, events that would take precedence, over general use, we'll be fine, I was thinking tonight those big heavy table would make a decent small stage.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 am 

I have a recliner I'll bring in soon... maybe tomorrow? Yay Meatspace!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:00 am 

Seeing some other posts, I'm having a question occur to me, which is thus- has anyone considered just HOW dedicated a space has to be, in order to be optimal? (note: by 'optimal' I don't mean ideal, just better than 'usable' status.)

An example that comes to mind is the tables. Heavy isn't always a bad thing; but it doesn't HAVE to mean 'hard to move'. Perhaps the things just need to be modded somehow- ideas anyone?

I also saw a couple comments on the wood shop, and that also struck me the same way: yes, a table saw needs clearance space; BUT, that's only when it's in use. If there's no one using them at the time, and advance notice is given, moving tools doesn't sound unreasonable to me; provided that it's not difficult to adjust/readjust.

I don't want to start a debate on how possible these ideas are, I just want to get them started as food for thought.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am 

Thanks to everyone who worked on the Meatspace, I really like how there's one big table. That will be great for collaborations! Now all we need are some comfortable pieces of furniture. I brought in an easy chair, and we can bring up the couch -- that's a start.

Also, I'm thinking it would be good to get some of the bigger pieces of junk/equipment/projects like the sound boards, the fax machine, the solder checker/CNC, etc. out of there, to give us more space. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:37 am 

karen actually *cleaned* the classroom when she rearranged (rearrangement was part of cleaning)

the working sound board is in there to protect it from dust i believe, and someone was working on getting it set up so that there were speakers in the classroom, and the big EVs were out in the shop. the encoder table also want's to be dust free, and i'd rather not have it go down stairs. the cyberoptics machine i believe could move out into the cnc area.

imonger the big tables are heavy but do slide pretty easily. likewise several of the table saws are on locking wheeled bases, but are often in use. in terms of flexibility/dedicated, i don't think anything should be solely dedicated, however moving some things needs to be harder than others to make transitions reasonable. i.e. moving the radial arm saw incorrectly can mean up to an hour of recalibrating it to 0, but work benches with locking wheels can scoot easily out of the way. if we get dust collection fully set up, we don't want to break/remake those connections a lot as it weakens the system significantly.

realistically we need to look at what happens in the space occasionally (HMMM, minne maker faire, cabaret) and what happens regularly (shop use, classes, open wednesdays, group meetings) and make sure they're all viable, and interoperate. i.e. we probably need a set of computer work stations and the notadoor wall of the classroom can take a bench along it. for events, it doesn't eat a lot of real estate, but still provides 90` viewing to the projector for classes. likewise, moving the other big tables off to the side would allow for more chairs in there for HMMM, but pulling the tables back allows for classes. several classes move the tables around already. getting the PA set up near the window (where the encoder desk is atm) would let it be used in the shop (through the window with classroom speakers as monitors) or in the classroom for cabaret or HMMM.

i think we've already shown that we need to be able to accommodate two simultaneous classes without shutting down the shop area, so making the classroom more flexible AND making the lounge more useful are very important.

keep in mind that on wed a number of folks were unaware that this discussion is happening here, several of whom don't read the forums at all, and folks doing this need to respect and seek out their opinions too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:26 pm 

I heard that there is a space planning comittee. Is there a member of that comittee that would be willing to print out these posts, and post them along with a large piece of paper asking folks to weigh in on this discussion in a non-digital way? (Long sentence.)

If there isn't a member of the space planning committee that can step up and take this on, I'll happily do so. Let me know.

I think this would be one step forward in making sure the wants, needs, desires and voices of our offline members were heard.

I also like that Karen did some cleaning and rearranging in there. The very fact of the tables having been moved helps bring home the point that it's doable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:22 pm 

Orkraider wrote:
I heard that there is a space planning comittee. Is there a member of that comittee that would be willing to print out these posts, and post them along with a large piece of paper asking folks to weigh in on this discussion in a non-digital way?
I also like that Karen did some cleaning and rearranging in there. The very fact of the tables having been moved helps bring home the point that it's doable.

Right on, and I believe there's consensus on making the space / items in it modular and mobile. Jude and I tried to leave large openings in the bottom of the newest shelves for "drive in" storage of mobile tools etc. I think we are heading in the right direction, per Ork lets get everybody's input and keep it moving.

I'd second moving the CyberOptics out into the shop, a slip cover over it would help. I still dream that one day we'll have the cleanish tools fish tank al la this.

( Yes I realize it is impractical. )
Pete

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next