Siege Engine and Cherry (aka spoonapult)

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
User avatar
idris_arslanian
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby idris_arslanian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm

Actually, that's kind of what I was thinking. We could make a 2-3 ft version using scrap lumber and a 36 inch stainless mash stirrer (we'd have to back it w/ rebar for reinforcement). I could get my wife and some of her friends to make plush cherries that we could launch. It'd be a pretty fun thing to show off at, say, the science museum plaza...

User avatar
Theo
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:53 am
Location: Eagan, MN
Contact:

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby Theo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:54 pm

Hmmm... lemme suggest that it be no more than 28" high, 36" wide, and 60" long. (Keeping it within those maximum dimensions would make it Subaru-transportable, if I fold the back seat down.)

I've never built a spoonapult, but I could conceivably do the framing.

hootenanny
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby hootenanny » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:33 pm

idris_arslanian wrote:Actually, that's kind of what I was thinking. We could make a 2-3 ft version using scrap lumber and a 36 inch stainless mash stirrer (we'd have to back it w/ rebar for reinforcement). I could get my wife and some of her friends to make plush cherries that we could launch. It'd be a pretty fun thing to show off at, say, the science museum plaza...

heck, i could make a few plush cherries for the spoonapult.

User avatar
jtbarclay
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:50 pm
Location: Stillwater
Contact:

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby jtbarclay » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 pm

hootenanny wrote:
idris_arslanian wrote:Actually, that's kind of what I was thinking. We could make a 2-3 ft version using scrap lumber and a 36 inch stainless mash stirrer (we'd have to back it w/ rebar for reinforcement). I could get my wife and some of her friends to make plush cherries that we could launch. It'd be a pretty fun thing to show off at, say, the science museum plaza...

heck, i could make a few plush cherries for the spoonapult.


with a pattern I could make some too

User avatar
metis
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:06 am
Location: NE Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby metis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 am

excellent. who's got a few garage door springs?

User avatar
noise
Global Moderator
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby noise » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 am

metis wrote:excellent. who's got a few garage door springs?


Axeman?
Make it happen.

User avatar
metis
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:06 am
Location: NE Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby metis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:32 am

not that i recall at the texatonka sat, but smaller would prolly be ok for the portable version we're looking at.

User avatar
noise
Global Moderator
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby noise » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 am

metis wrote:not that i recall at the texatonka sat, but smaller would prolly be ok for the portable version we're looking at.


That's what I was thinking, full size garage door springs would probably get the cherry to Minneapolis.
Make it happen.

User avatar
metis
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:06 am
Location: NE Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby metis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:01 pm

or the acceleration could pop it.

i think we can probably use 3/4" conduit for the throw arm. i've got some in the garage, anyone have a conduit bender? a cheap flat steel bowl will probably be a more spoon shaped head, anyoen want to hit thrift stores?

i believe i've got some scrap 2x2 we could use as well but will have to check.

hootenanny
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Logos & Designs

Postby hootenanny » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 pm

metis- do you still have some elmo fur lying around?


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron