Bridgeport Mill - in the house

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
otto_pjm

Bridgeport Mill - in the house

Postby otto_pjm » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:49 am

As you may know TC Maker got a Mill on Friday. I'm hopeful someone with better pictures of it can make a blog post perhaps? I understand that it got setup yesterday, and it's clean-up has begun.

PLEASE BE AWARE:
Due to the nature of this type of tool and the very real potential for damage to the user , machine and potentially the space. Users will need to be checked out on the mill before use. That process is evolving. As is the procurement of tooling for the mill. This would be a great spot for sharing additional information.

Thanks Pete

wammie
Site Admin

Re: Bridgeport Mill - in the house

Postby wammie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 am

I'd be willing to create a draft blog post if people can provide me with some informational items they'd like to have included in the post.

Also, are we going to give this guy a name? What do people suggest?

boltz

Re: Bridgeport Mill - in the house

Postby boltz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:55 am

People working around it need to know that it can throw smoking hot chips up to 10 feet from the cutting tool. OSHA requires safety glasses with side shields for the operator and nearby personnel. Regular eyeglasses don't qualify. It can be hard to express the importance of this upon somebody who hasn't blown up a solid carbide endmill and gotten hit in the face by the shrapnel.

-Jim Hart

Return to “General Discussion”