Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do we have? An equipment and skills inventory
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Good question. My coworker also said this is definitely a high def TV though and not a large standard resolution TV. Hopefully it's got a bad fuse or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:16 pm 

Hi folks. This seemed like a good place to introduce myself...

I'm Steve/McSteve. I'm planning on making it out to the next of your Wednesday weekly gatherings to meet some people and check out the Hack Factory. I'm pretty impressed by the info I've seen, so it's pretty likely I'll want to become a dues-paying member. Before TCMaker showed up here, I was always jealous of the other areas that had a group and hackerspace like this.

So, here's what I can bring to the table:

* Computer/networking skills; mostly linux desktop and server experience, LANs, etc.
* General handiness. I'm definitely a DIY type person, I do my own electrical, car repair, appliance repair, etc.
* A freakin' awesome robot :D It's still a work in progress, but it's coming along nicely.

I also have some tools I might be willing to loan or donate to the Hack Factory, and a fairly large assortment of electronic junk. I've just got to get everything inventoried and organized to figure out what I've got.

Hope to see some of you on Wednesday!

-McSteve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

mcsteve wrote:
Hi folks. This seemed like a good place to introduce myself...-McSteve
Steve, thanks for sharing and welcome to TC Maker! Glad you've taken interest in our organization and we would certainly be glad to have you as a full member. I can't wait to see what you've done so far with your robot. I want to build one myself. See you at the Hack Factory!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:22 pm 

I didn't realize this was the spot to introduce myself! I'll correct that now.

My name is Fletcher. I'm a machinist by trade (more mills than lathe work, though I do know how to turn parts!). I went to Dunwoody for school, and have been in the trade about five years now. I work mostly with Mastercam and g-code programming (nice when someone else pays for the software), and a little Surfcam. I'm hoping to build a CNC lathe at some point, but I'm kind of clueless about the electrnics end of it.

I won't be able to stop by the Wednesday meetings currently, as I work 2nd shift (and they are kind of funny about me coming in every day). I'm planning on signing up for the welding class, so I'll meet some of you then, I'd imagine.

"Who dares wins"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm 

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for welcoming me to the community. My name is Kory. I'm interested in wood and metal sculpture, especially kinetic art. I would also like to teach my R/C helicopter to fly itself, since I apparently can't fly it very well myself.

Some areas of knowledge:

degree in aerospace engineering
basic wood/metal shop tools, Shopbot CNC router
carbon fiber and fiberglass layups
silicone mold making and polyurethane casting
SolidWorks, Matlab/Simulink, and limited programming (C/C++, VBA)
rudimentary electronics knowledge
photography
cooking

Hope to see you around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kory!

Thanks for stopping by and posting on our forum. See you again soon!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:42 pm 

Hey Kory,

Welcome, I'd love to talk mold making and CNC experience with you sometime. I built a CNC router (smaller than a Shpbot) with the intention to do mold making among other things. We are also planning a g-code class sometime soon if you to participate / help.

I'll be around tonight (Weds) probably messing with the CNC in the classroom

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 am 

Hi everyone, my name is Bill and I was recently introduced to the world of Make when my father bought me the latest issue on a Whim, I've been enthralled with it ever since. I'm a Dunwoody student in my second year of the electrical design program (as in buildings/NEC not circuit boards). I currently work at IKEA in the recovery department where we try to salvage what we can from broken product, such as turning two broken couches into one sell-able couch. I am looking at getting into industrial automation for a career and have been learning how to design\program PLC's. I have a solid foundation in electrical theory but would like to learn more about electrical components/circuit design. Really though I'm interested in all facets of fabrication and would like to become a little more comfortable working around a shop. Additionally it would be nice to meet some like minded people and just have fun making crazy things.

I'm currently working on a useless machine and expandable wolverine claws. I would love to learn more about machining in general, electronics and how to weld. The thing I would like to build the most right now is a desk top CNC machine.

I'm a little nervous about actually coming out to the shop but I'm sure I will work up the courage someday. I look forward to getting to know the group and picking your brains.

I'm new but I'm trying to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:26 am 

Welcome Bill,

I'm Pete, and the guy who brought the CNC Lathe and Router in. I love to talk toys, and understand a few other new / perspective members are interested in building a CNC machine. If you can make it Weds. I think we'll be talking then. I built my CNC and am interested in building more, I was thinking a cupcake sized one would be cool, so you could have the cupcake and uncupcake that are both portable. I also have plans for a larger, very fast and solid Shopbot like CNC Router, I'd love to build someday. (I built mine to be able to make parts to build it)

I'm teaching a intro all things CNC Class on Saturday too, it's on the Blog if you are interested.

look forward to meeting you.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 pm 

I thought I had introduced myself before . . . but I can't find it, so I'll Do it again.

Tom Barnett

skills
some metalsmithing (blacksmithing, member of the local Guild of Metalsmiths)
some welding (out of practice on both stick and mig)
some woodwork (hacking together theater sets and the like)
some programming (mostly VB and other Basic Variants)

I have a somewhat beatup post-vice I can donate, and a pair of older laptops (Dell 1535 and 5100, I think). If anyone thinks they would be useful.

Given life and time, it is unlikely I'll ever be a $50 a month member as I just wouldn't get there enough to do anything. But perhaps some sort of affliate membership could be done?

In any case, been meaning to get to a meeting since I started hearing about this in the beginning of 2009. Hopefully this week or next.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next