Site Logo

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: can anyone lend me a 12v to 5v DC-DC converter ASAP?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:49 pm 

Short version:
I'm would love to borrow a 12v to 5v DC to DC power supply/converter this weekend to run a single string of GE Color Effects lights from a 12v SLA battery without needing a wasteful inverter to power the 12vac to 5vdc wall wart. I don't know the exact 5vdc current draw, but it should be around or less than 1 amp, I figure. If you or someone you know might be able to help me out, please PM, email, or call me. my screen name at gmail, or sex won too ate sex oh too nein oh nein. Thank you!

Long version:
Hello makers!

I'm working very much last minute on a bike-mounted portable illuminated disco dance floor prop for Northern Spark and the Greenway Glow. Jude was kind enough to lend me an unmodified string of GE Color Effects lights for the illumination, and I've got the frame built out of wood and whatnot. In order to power the lights, I'm currently using a 12v sealed lead acid battery that runs a mid-size AC inverter, which simply powers the 5v wall wart power supply that comes stock with the GE lights. Very inefficient, since I'm making multiple needless conversions. The inverter burns up about a half amp with no load connected to it. :cry:

If anyone has (or would be willing to quickly make) some sort of power supply or DC to DC converter that can make safe and reliable 5vdc from a 12vdc source (well, 10.5 to 14vdc realistically), I would be thrilled to be able to provide loud disco music and pretty blinkenlichten for longer without tanking my battery. The timeline is very tight. Northern Spark is Saturday evening. If I don't get any hits, I'll just use the inverter and kick myself for not getting things figured out weeks in advance like I told myself I would.

If you can't help, but know someone that might be able to, please forward my request if you'd be so kind. Thanks!