Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
wammie
Site Admin

Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions

Postby wammie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm starting a new thread here to document happenings and topics relating to the Hack Factory facility, which may or may not be related to other published events.

Item for today: I've installed the Arduino IDE for Ubuntu at the office PC. There are icons on the desktop and the launch panel at the top of the screen.

wammie
Site Admin

Re: Hack Factory Facility Updates and Questions

Postby wammie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:34 pm

More updates from our Google Groups mailing today:
  • The dumpster by the dock door is for trash. The dumpster by the side door is for cardboard only (and is labeled as such); please refrain from putting refuse in the cardboard recycling bin.
  • The office is now well-stocked with treats and non-alcoholic beverages left over from Minne-Faire. If you take something, please drop some change into one of the donation boxes. $0.50 is an appropriate amount for a beverage and $0.50 for a bag of chips. Honor system only, of course- but if this becomes a net money maker for the group, we will continue to restock the snacks and drinks regularly.
  • Please be conservative about what you bring in as a donation item. Broken electronics, especially CRTs, TVs, and laser printers, can be hard to store and may end up costing the group to be disposed of if nobody uses them.
  • If you bring something in, please find a good place to store it. The blue shelves next to the stairs are for materials, the wire shelves next to them are for tools. Help us keep the Hack Factory neat!

-edit 50c for chips too.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm

FYI, I left my tv and vcr at the factory, please leave them together I will be using them there or bringing them back home to use (they are my arduino ntsc test bed). The two old monitors there are mine too for the purpose of an existing project (I brought them for the hack-a-thon).

Does anyone have an old notebook (or actually desktop might work better), I just need it for the vga sync signal, so it could be REALLY old. Just needs to start up. Smallish would be better than largish.
Make it happen.

jtbarclay

Postby jtbarclay » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:15 pm

I installed Inkscape (vector editor) and the drivers for the FTDI cable on the office computer today, p.s. Wayne, you forgot to log out of twitter.

I added ice to the beer, which will hopefully still be drinkable for you guys on Wednesday, I put 5 bottles of water in each of the freezers if someone wants to stop by on Tuesday and check the ice level.

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm

jtbarclay wrote:Wayne, you forgot to log out of twitter.

You mean you squandered an opportunity for pants status?!?
Make it happen.

jtbarclay

Postby jtbarclay » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:32 pm

noise wrote:
jtbarclay wrote:Wayne, you forgot to log out of twitter.

You mean you squandered an opportunity for pants status?!?

I didn't think of it until after the fail whale was gone, and apparently the logout did go through...

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Good going, JT! I was also looking at installing that Logitech camera we have on the junk shelf but I couldn't really find an Unbuntu/Linux driver on the Interwebs. Whew... glad I didn't wind up like a fool with my pants on the ground, pants on the ground.

jtbarclay

Postby jtbarclay » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Installed Arduino 17 on the office computer, as well as Sanguino support. Note, I also installed the Sanguino files for Arduino 18 but you'll get a compile error if you try using it.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:38 pm

I went to Menards and Ax-Man today. I got a pizza cutter for the Hack Factory. Not sure if we already have one, but we'll have at least one now. I bought a few other goodies too for a project I hope to build for group use at the H.F.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:10 pm

Everyone, do you think it would be OK to install World Community Grid on the Hack Factory office computer, to add computing time for our WCG team? It would likely have no noticeable effect at all on the performance of the office computer.

Return to “General Discussion”