Site Logo

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: MakerBot Cupcake 3D Printer
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:53 pm 

Color me skeptical that a P2 266 will be useful.

I have far, far better computers than that kicking around my garage- dual CPU P3 machines, I think.

I'll bring something by one Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:15 pm 

Converting the 3d files to gcode can actually take quite a bit of oomph. It was taking almost 5 minutes for medium sized objects on my 2.4ghz core 2 duo...

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:25 am 

jtbarclay wrote:
Converting the 3d files to gcode can actually take quite a bit of oomph. It was taking almost 5 minutes for medium sized objects on my 2.4ghz core 2 duo...

I think the idea is that you bring your model pre-converted and the local PC acts basically just as a printer-driver for the MakerBot.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:42 am 
Global Moderator

From what I see in the pictures, and what I saw in person, there is not a dedicated computer there yet. So at this point, if it would run the software a IBM -XT would be an improvement.

Now if somebody wants to donate 7 grand to build a little server farm for this, I am all for it, but right now my personal budget for finding things is $0, and I can work with that, but it will not be a i7, it will not have 32Gig of ram, and 14 Terabytes of Disk.

It will run a Linux flavor, and I was asking what the bare specs are for the program to drive a pre-processed file on the printer, what can we make due with.

I agree that the P2 266 I have may run light, but if it is what we have to work with, until something better is found, I will work with that.

If anybody wants to donate old parts, or even a working system, super, less work for me, but as of Saturday, we did not have a dedicated machine, and that is my goal to fix by Wednesday so we can show this printer off.
(BTW about 3 guys from our VOIP meeting are coming to see the printer, and I am sure that as we discussed a while back, this will be a draw for more members, so getting it working is something I, along with many others, are working towards)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:08 pm 

I dropped off a Compaq of fairly recent vintage 'bout a week ago. It needs a hard drive (don't know what interface), but other than that it's in operating condition.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:06 am 
Site Admin

jtbarclay wrote:
The makerbot is now more or less complete. We need to designate a computer for it and the rest of the calibrating will be done by customizing the skeinforge settings to generate the gcode. If I can find a way to export the settings from my laptop they would be a better starting point than the default.
JTB, we saw a problem with the first strand of plastic not adhering to the build platform. By the time I left the H.F. on Saturday that hadn't been entirely resolved. It seemed to me the solution was getting the gcode to specify the proper temp, slowing down the printhead a bit, adding surface friction to the platform, and carefully adjusting the print head gap. Did all of these things have to be done to get it to work? What's the key to getting the first strand to lay down nicely and adhere?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Note: For those who haven't see it, JTB has made ANOTHER POST about a MakerBot class this Saturday!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:08 pm 

OK, so that Compaq I mentioned? Scratch it. There are a bunch of leaky caps on the mobo (the previous owner ditched it just in time!). So unless someone wants to replace the caps it's an organ donor at this point.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Hey, MakerBot Industries has a newer, stronger plastruder drive gear (click picture for article and video):

They're only $10 from the MakerBot Store.

Can we get one? How much trouble would it be to install?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:25 pm 

I'll be dropping off a small crock pot sometime in the next couple of weeks. It'll be near the microwave and sink in the classroom. It is to be used for dyeing parts only, NO FOOD! (it's labeled).

Here is my method for dyeing the parts. BYOD, it can be found at grocery stores, wal-mart, target etc for a couple of bucks a box. It appears as if one box will last for a day for as many parts as you want to throw in. I just ask that you empty and clean the pot before you leave. If you want to try to save your dye for another day please do so in your own container.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next