Site Logo

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mural?!?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:51 pm 

I don't want to assert my ideas of art onto the group, but I feel I can state my personal opinion without asserting anything. To me, art is something that needs to be organic from the artist, not designed by a committee. The artist shouldn't need to satisfy the desires of anyone else, only himself. There's always the risk that the audience doesn't love the art in the same way that the artist does; the audience may not love the art at all, but really good art is based on taking that risk, not playing it safe. I believe we need to trust that the artist will do what the artist does.

I also think we're probably making too big a fuss around the word "Hack." It's not like we're soliciting donations for an organization named "Evil Hackers." The group is TCMaker, and that's the name that will be soliciting donations and grants.

But that's just my opinion.

-MRE-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:51 pm 
Global Moderator

Very well put Matt.

I deleted a similar post because I'm tired of being bitchy, I'm glad I'm not the only one with those opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:43 am 

I should also be clear that while I don't think art is to be designed by committee, a Logo *is* something to be designed by the committee, IMHO. But to me, Mural != Logo.

On a side note: TCM has an absolutely fantastic logo! I really love the thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:13 am 

i'd like to add the same caveat that matt posted, and agree in general, however in this case we're looking at in effect commissioning a custom piece. swink is an amazing artist, and isn't going to produce something that he isn't happy with. as we're all sharing this, i think some input should be welcomed. it's also not like we're putting in a terrazzo floor, if we're not crazy about it, it can be changed or reworked or replaced. (i don't see us changing it but someone may want to paint another mural or swink may want to cover it himself)

in regard to hack, i'm not concerned as about the hacker branding as it just makes me think of clearing out congested lungs or attacking a log rather than creating something. hack factory together i really like, but the prominent "HACK" alone just seems .... gross? all together on one line would be fine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:28 am 

I've played around a bit and think that "hack factory" on one line looks pretty good. hack is the smallest part of bolded text since its in perspective.

With that being said, what do people prefer, MN or Minnesota? leave it off altogether?

I think "we" know we are in minneasota, but could be nice for future PR in the blog-o-sphere if we have our location in the art.

PS Trying to figure out a cool way to integrate the TCM symbol onto the factory/background somehow. Going to work on another sketch over lunch today.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:44 am 
Global Moderator

Really, a commissioned work? Or is it just somebody in the group willing to use his talents for our benefit.

Seems like rationalization so that more dead horse beating can occur which seems to be the primary interest of some.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:53 pm 

here is take 2. Now with saws-all action!

Attachments:
mural2.jpg
mural2.jpg [ 72.19 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:57 pm 
Global Moderator

Awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

SwinkDaddy, nice! If this is going on a large area, were you planning on including small details as well, such as brick textures, rivets, or whatever?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:05 pm 

Details, yes... My plan is to bring the sketch into Adobe illustrator and create a polished vector version. That version will have a bunch more detail. That when I figure out the colors.

Last edited by swinkdaddy on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next