Mural?!?

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
mrebersv

Re: Mural?!?

Postby mrebersv » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Looks amazing. What colors of paint do we need to buy? ;-)

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:49 pm

swinkdaddy wrote:Details, yes... My plan is to bring the sketch into Adobe illustrator and create a polished vector version. That version will have a bunch more detail. That when I figure out the colors.
Sweeeet! I'm wondering how easy it would be to paint this on a wall then. Do mural artists sometimes do something like a paint-by-numbers template to project on a wall? I wonder if there's a freebie program that generates paint-by-numbers pictures?

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:19 pm

That looks awesome. You can just project onto a wall and trace in the lines you need the key i found is to have 3 keystone points on the wall and the image itself makes it easy so it doesn't have to be done in one shot and havok doesn't ensue when you bump the projector.

Theo

Postby Theo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 pm

I like it too. Nicely drafted, Swink.

Could you maybe also add a figure wearing headphones, with a classic mic or other audio gear? We do have our sound engies. 8-)

jtbarclay

Postby jtbarclay » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:12 pm

I Love It!

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Sorry, I can't help myself but to make another suggestion: How about some funky whirlygig flying machine in the sky? It could be a dirigible or tow a banner, whatever.

metis

Postby metis » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:52 am

I vote we get paint from the county recycling center. Its free (beer) recycled stuff, but color choice is limited. We may need to buy a 5 gal of primer and brushes and the like but not paying for pigments is good.

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am

Drew from hack, mentioned that the last mural he did, he got "off white" mixes from Hirshfields seconds/returns, super cheap and then bought pigment additive and mixed his own color needs. Going to look into that option, since that will give us the most color choices (and the ability to custom tint a shade) for the lowest cost. plus it hirshfields cover really well :)

I also drive by diamond vogel paint a lot, might see if they have seconds too. could be cool to have semi gloss and high gloss for effect.
Have kilt, will travel...

Theo

Postby Theo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 pm

metis wrote:I vote we get paint from the county recycling center. Its free (beer) recycled stuff, but color choice is limited. We may need to buy a 5 gal of primer and brushes and the like but not paying for pigments is good.

There's a big place sorta near me, The Dakota County Recycling Zone (fka "Eco-Site"), which does the free leftover paint thing. I also HAVE some leftover paint which I'd me more than happy to donate.

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:11 pm

If you are by any recycle center with free paint, feel free to pick up any off white or blue tinted paint. We can pool what we find and tint it to stronger color with additives. (just make sure it hasnt been frozen - messes up the latex base - hard to work with.)
Have kilt, will travel...

Return to “General Discussion”