Site Logo

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Digital drum sets at Goodwill
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:17 am 
Global Moderator

Obi-Bob wrote:
I was just at the Bloomington Goodwill last night (~Lyndale & American Blvd.) and they had a bunch of First Act 5 Pad digital drum sets for ~$30 - $35 each. I dunno if they'd be useful for circuit bending or even just playing, but they had several, and it looked like they would retail for more than the price they had.

I just did a search on these, they apparently sell them new at Target for $50. Might me fodder for bending, but that's kind of a high price (in my mind) for a bend victim (unless it's an SK-1 or Speak and Spell maybe).

Post subject: Re: Call for Interest: Handmade Music/Noise Night
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

runagate wrote:
heuermh: LiCK Library for ChucK? Thanks for this. I've got ChucK on my list of things to investigate more closely, since I was trying to make a pre-anylized FFT file format for audio and suddenly had the bright idea to search Google for those terms and found TAPESTREA ( http://taps.cs.princeton.edu/ )...
Holy crap, that TAPASTREA program looks amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm 

wammie wrote:
runagate wrote:
heuermh: LiCK Library for ChucK? Thanks for this. I've got ChucK on my list of things to investigate more closely, since I was trying to make a pre-anylized FFT file format for audio and suddenly had the bright idea to search Google for those terms and found TAPESTREA ( http://taps.cs.princeton.edu/ )...
Holy crap, that TAPASTREA program looks amazing!

Yeah, it blew my mind. I simply cannot believe it already has been in existence for years.
It will save me about a bajillion hours of development.

I intend to batch analyze and then auto-group any audio files by hash tags according to averaging of spectral similarities, with certain pre-defined categories sifted out individually (hit-hats, inharmonic bells, etc.), and then then create a multi-dimensional matrix of comparisons for velocity, root pitch and "attack style" (say, a picked vs. a fingered vs. a slapped electric bass) and for each of those interstices provide a change-over-time profile for the pitch, amplitude, expression (vibrato and tremelo, initially), attack transients and spectral (harmonic overtones, non-harmonic partials and relatively-invariant formant) envelopes.

What I'm working on is a universal networking protocol for control data for music, so it needs to have certain (several thousand, at this point) composition- and performance-oriented specifics defined in frameworks way, way at the beginning to make sure they're extensible further along the trail when actual APIs exist to be communicated with so it's easily extensible. So that described above is one part of it which will allow for vastly more expressive higher-order organizational UI patches for multi-dimensional interface control (read: gyroscopic, multi-touch, AR) that doesn't really exist now to enbable that those extra mdimensions of expression to, well, control something useful, in this case extremely easy to use but complex and correlated envelopes. MIDI and even OSC doesn't even remotely allow for this, especially since it lacks hierarchies of complexity perspective that maxes out with higher-order perspectives for ease of use in addition to extreme complexity (nowadays it's really an either or proposition). This should work really nicely with additive/spectral, physically modelled and pre-analyzed FFT'd (time and pitch domain, both) sample synthesis.

The really startling part of it, to me anyways, is that this should allow taking several actually existing data points on this matrix of parameters and to interpolate and fill in the zillion other variations of sound based on the extracted definitions... probably not in realtime, but batch-processed, and allow those parameters in the matrix to be user edited and thus allow for a completely new kind of sound design. Too bad I only have one programmer partner ;)

I can still barely believe that TAPESTREA will allow me such a head start. I can't believe I stumbled on it by googling my own, at the time,completely unimplemented idea and someone far smarter than I made a program a few years ago that's that powerful. And, thankfully, Open Souce.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Very ambitious project there, runagate. I hope all of that text was copied/pasted from somewhere and you didn't type it all up for our little forum; probably there aren't many souls visiting this forum who can understand all of those technical terms. I'm not a programmer or sound technician and I admit I don't understand it all myself.

But just when you think most of the sound frontiers have been explored... this kind of networking protocol would blast open a whole new area of expression in sound!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

That is indeed a very interesting program.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm 

it seems odd that there isn't such a program or library already. i know that a lot of electronica artists and sfx folks have extensive libraries (and some softwares come with libraries like this)..... were you thinking of automating the processing of inputs? i.e. feed it a wave form and have it sort things, or tag them as appropriate and hope my "fast decay" is the same as your idea of it? i'd imagine you can run a lot of that with some gross ffts, pitch and level decay referencing.

i'll ask a few audio buddies about it and see if i can dig up contact info for an old science and technologies studies prof who specialized in electronic music. harass me at the factory some wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 pm 

Yeah, that was off the dome. I am no programmer, but my interesting in freeware and free info has been quite the love affair. I'm always more than happy to disgorge my hard-earned info no matter the size of the audience. Sorry it's so technical - I hate obfuscating jargon but there's no non-technical jargon to describe this fun stuff. Trust me, I'm equally lost when it comes to computer code or to hand-tools, soldering irons and circuitry! Actually, probably much moreso.

metis wrote:
it seems odd that there isn't such a program or library already. i know that a lot of electronica artists and sfx folks have extensive libraries (and some softwares come with libraries like this)..... were you thinking of automating the processing of inputs? i.e. feed it a wave form and have it sort things, or tag them as appropriate and hope my "fast decay" is the same as your idea of it? i'd imagine you can run a lot of that with some gross ffts, pitch and level decay referencing.

i'll ask a few audio buddies about it and see if i can dig up contact info for an old science and technologies studies prof who specialized in electronic music. harass me at the factory some wednesday.

No... I'm not absolutely sure I understand what you're describing. I'm not sorting audio for the sake of tagging it but as the first step describing all of it's perceptual qualities as they change over time to create a template that can be extrapolated to any other part of that multi-parameter matrix, for instance if there's no "D" note sampled, but there's 10 layers of velocity and three playing styles then the appropriate pitch, spectral, and other decays can be modeled and re-sythesize a new version for each step of the matrix: so when you play "D" each envelope matches analyzed curve for every velocity (how hard the note is struck or played or whatever), and for every velocity of every detected playing style, and on and on. It represents, usually, thousands of nuanced decays as you call them...

Which is interesting on it's own, but more importantly all this data can be abstracted as automation (which at the moment we'd use MIDI for, but which is obviously woefully inadequate). Um, ok I can't think of a way to put this in civilian terms, but maybe I'll be standing around to explain it sometime.

I don't drive (in fact don't know how) but I'm sure I'll figure out where the factory is and bus over sometime, I'm still hopinh this Thursday. I'd love to collaborate with hardware people somtime.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 pm 

I plan on being there, but are we going to be in the main space or the classroom? I'm probably going to arrive in the afternoon and don't want to move once I get set up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Admin

classroom I think is best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 am 
Global Moderator

While I agree with Paul about the classroom, I think you are going to find you are going to have a better turn out than you think. We should make sure that the tables in the main space are also there for folks to set up on. The classroom only has so many outlets, and so much table space.

And like Jude, moving their projects may be a time consuming thing.

I will help Wednesday to set up the space, and I am hoping to be a fly on the wall Thursday schedule permitting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next