open source ECU (engine control unit)

Area for developing group projects, such as workshop equipment
53bash

open source ECU (engine control unit)

Postby 53bash » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 pm

I've seen a few cases where its been done by individuals, but can't find any general information about building an engine control unit using an Arduino or other open source micro controlller. I think a low cost, open source ecu would potentially be both valuable to society (as it would allow high-emission engines to be better tuned) and a lot of fun (as it would allow performance and reliability boosts to old carburated engines).

There's a lot I don't know about this, but a lot I'd like to learn. I think the obvious course would be to grab an inexpensive small engine, fit it with a throttle body / fuel injector and various sensors, and play around, developing a base of knowledge to grow on. Thus the initial focus would likely be for a single cylinder 4 stroke engine, although I'd like to build in the option to expand development to multiple cylinders and two stroke / diesel engines.

Long term goal would be to develop a open source knowledge base and hardware that would
- allow adaptation of carburated engines to EFI
- allow digital control of spark advance
- be largely 'self tuning' (not requiring dyno testing, manual map programming)
- allow major fueling changes on the fly (multi fuel, adaptive forced induction)
- be applicable to older and less 'sophisticated' engines with minimal modification
- have low cost

I know all these things are individually possible, but I've never seen them combined in one place.

Skills that I know will be needed (perhaps developed!) include
- basic engine mechanics (needs to work good before we mess with it, needs maintenance and testing, and may well get damaged in development)
- advanced engine mechanics (tuning and combustion theory)
- fabrication (intakes with injectors, sensor mounts, etc)
- high voltage power (CDI or other spark ignition)
- low voltage power (basic wiring of sensors controllers, etc)
- Arduino (and / or other micro controller) expertise

Anybody else interested?
Sebastian Wiers
sebwiers@ 10^100 mail
https://www.facebook.com/sebwiers
612 695 fifty-two sixty-six

Gyvven

Re: open source ECU (engine control unit)

Postby Gyvven » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 am

Seb,
I started looking into this a few years ago but quickly realized I didn't have enough programming knowledge (and still don't) to get very far. I ended up purchasing a MegaSquirt ECU, which was a really good purchase since I now know a lot of the parameters that go into tuning an engine. I'd be interested in helping out since I think a cheap arduino should be able to do the same things as the MegaSquirt. You only need a few inputs and outputs to make it go. There are a lot of nay-sayers out there that say it's not worth the trouble, but I don't think it'd hurt to try.

Jon
Instructables is my crack.

You can't have Success without the suck.

Too many irons, not enough fire.

Learner

Postby Learner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:38 am

For a project like this, using automotive grade parts would be a must due to voltage, electrical noise, temp, & vibrations if you want to do it right.
LRNR

FrankManic

Postby FrankManic » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:49 am

I don't know anything about this at all, but it does sound damned interesting.

Return to “Group Projects”