Interest in Upright MAME Cabinet for HF?

Area for developing group projects, such as workshop equipment
wammie
Site Admin

Re: Interest in Upright MAME Cabinet for HF?

Postby wammie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:02 pm

idris_arslanian wrote:I can get one of these for around $80 w/ the PC/Xbox/PS3/Dreamcast adapters included

http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-joy ... -joystick/

Any interest?
That looks fantastic, and at a good price, I'd say. Need to check if the dimensions are such that it can be mounted easily on the arcade game.

I'm still looking for interested TC Makers to help contribute toward the $110 I paid for the arcade game. So far I I've received $30.

If this control console works out, I'll certain contribute toward that purchase too.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:53 am

I got them down to $65. It's up in Brooklyn Park, trying to arrange pickup.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:07 pm

idris_arslanian wrote:I got them down to $65. It's up in Brooklyn Park, trying to arrange pickup.
Most appreciated! Thanks Idris! Tonight I'll be in the basement for TC Maker portfolio discussion at 7:30-8 or so, but if you're going to be at the H.F. tonight, perhaps we can get together with Smittex and take a look at the arcade interior.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:06 am

Last night a group of us took a look at the internals of the newer arcade cabinet, and tested to be sure it's still working; it is.

The interior just has a bit of dust, otherwise there are no major problems. The unit is very modular and it looks like cake to uninstall the existing monitor and replace it with a substitute: we're targeting a 20" Viewsonic monitor which is in the classroom. We'd like to know if anyone else had a predetermined use for this monitor. If so, please post here or IM me. We're allowing until Sept. 1 for anyone to respond. We've placed a note on the monitor as well, to reserve it for the project.

Though the installed CRT works, it likely is tuned for much lower resolution than we'd like to see in some games.

We have plans to make this into an information/member signup kiosk as well, and configure for network connections to the other arcade, so we can run multiplayer games.

The consensus is that the joystick controls seem very solid, but that we should add at least a couple more buttons per joystick for universal functionality.

The next step is to do some vacuuming of the interior, maybe some wipedown cleaning of surfaces, and take photos and do some documentation to record the existing connections.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:06 pm

If anyone has a spare clipboard and/or notebook to hang on the arcade cabinet for recording project activity, that would be great. Otherwise I'll try to get one if I see that nobody has provided one, next time I am able to get to the H.F.

mcsteve

Postby mcsteve » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Check with Brandon; there were some clipboards in the last supply pickup, and he probably knows if they're slated for something specific.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
If it ain't broke, your version is outdated.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:59 am

no i got them to be used, i have no specific projects for them yet.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 pm

I got to the Hack Factory briefly today. I bought some college-rule notebook paper an placed in the top drawer of file cabinet in the office. I didn't know where the clipboards were stored so didn't yet attach a clipboard to the arcade game.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:23 am

It's past Sept. 1, and to my knowledge nobody has stepped forward with a claim on the Viewsonic monitor in the classroom. We're going to take it then for the arcade cabinet.

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:03 am

Please note that I grabbed the xArcade controller and it is sitting next to the cabinet.

-The DTs

Return to “Group Projects”