Site Logo

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Time to work on our "book"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:44 pm 

Little bump here. I remain very interested in helping to make this project happen. Anyone have a current status update on the web portion?

I'm going to suggest we get a prototype of the physical book made, sort of as a kickstart for continued interest. Would it be possible to get the database receiver system up prior to the automated layout is ready? I would offer to manually do the layout for a dozen or so pages to create a preliminary edition based on that material. Momentum on a project of this kind seems a good idea.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.906166,-93.294301
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Time to work on our "book"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 pm 

I've got the code splitting up lines of text of which I was caught up on a few weeks ago. Other than that, we need a server to host the code on. I could use my personal site at godaddy... can we get a list of projects to beta test on? Someone familiar with PHP would be an asset to develop a template template to base additional designs on. Really, anyone knowing web development programming could help speed up this project.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:24 pm 

I can also host stuff at my site, I've got full php scripting, all the fun database back end stuff, and pretty much unlimited storage.

I'm also interested in polishing up my rusty php.

Let's talk, tell me what type of code needs to be written, and we'll make some magic happen.

Also, at the bottom of my placeholder site, rileybows.com, is pictures and content for my "book" listing re: bows.

Riley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 pm 

Cool. We need a webform with the fields on the wiki page to put that info into a database (MySQL) and call a function that will return the relative path of the generated image. I envision a pop-up window with the generated image or a "div" with the image displayed on the same page, either by refreshing the page or via JavaScript.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a fairly proficient php hacker. I could collab with you on wednesday night (assuming i'm feeling better by then)

As for hosting, I've also got a shared hosting account and spare cycles on my minecraft server (when i'm not playing obv.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

I've been looking into this and I've hit a point of ponderance.

Do we want a very simple form that posts to a script that generates an image (and maybe saves the one-off result in a database)?

- or -

Do we want something where users can submit, edit, publish, etc. the information for their project? Is it going to be authenticated? Is that going to be tied in with everything else here?

If we want something closer to the latter than the former I'd say we should leverage our current wiki as much as possible. Otherwise we're rewriting the CMS wheel. The cost/benefits of developing all of those features from scratch isn't worth it.

Here's my idea.

Get a template extension for Dokuwki that we could use to specify the layout of the questions. People wanting to document their projects can just create a page according to the template within a specified area of the wiki.

Then, essentially make a build script to scrape the wiki articles and do the svg building. Keep simple track of modified dates of files and we could even zip/cache the resulting set of pages, only updating if something changed.

Then we have built-in version tracking, authentication, access control.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:30 pm 

I think it's smart to leverage the wiki. It'll make for a nice home on the web, in a logical place for TCMaker project info.

I looked into templates for the wiki a couple of weeks ago. No plugin needed, the support is already baked in. We just need to hammer out a sample page.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'll take a look at that tonight.

I'm looking for something that provides a form with fill-in boxes over something that prefills an open page layout with something from a pre-set template doc.

Example
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Twin_Cities_Maker
Click the edit with form button

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 pm 

I think its more important to get something workable and creating pages soon. I think a wiki Scrapper is a neat idea albeit for a later release. I'll have the svg "generator" on the wiki page asap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

This is what I'm thinking about. I didn't do it right on the tcmaker wiki yet cause i want to back things up before I go messing around with stuff.

So.. I set it up on a dokuwiki instance I threw together in 5 minutes on my own server.

http://dev.pyrodogg.com/tcmaker/wiki/do ... =portfolio

Click the 'Add a new project' link for the form.

Unfortunately it doesn't support using the form to also edit the pages.

This uses two plugins, Bureaucracy for the form functionality, and nspages for listing all of the portfolio namespaced pages on one page.

Remaining thought process, request portfolio project list page, get links to projects. Pull fields off project page and call whatever process Brian's put together.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next