What do we need for the network?

What things would you use at the maker shop?
Luno

Re: What do we need for the network?

Postby Luno » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:04 am

DanBackslide wrote:The problem with the vault is getting cabling in there. Those walls are thick, and solid (as far as I know ).

There's electricity in there. I'm betting there might be some wiggle room near the conduit for cat5e/cat6. If not, I bet we could find a hammer drill - after all, that's what they're for. ;)

What does pfsense use for DHCP? I use dnsmasq at home for DNS/DHCP internally, providing the aforementioned integration.
73 de KC0TFB * http://gplus.luno.org * http://wishlist.luno.org/
Skype/Yahoo Messenger/Google Chat: kc0tfb * Google Voice: (612) 208-2550

Happyk

Postby Happyk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Far as I know we can not drill new holes into the safe as part of our lease???
"insert something witty here"

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:47 pm

We can not drill holes into the safe. Even if we could the heat from the servers would become a problem after a while.

EntropyRising

Postby EntropyRising » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Agree, cooling is the biggest reason not to use the safe. I think a locked cabinet would be sufficient for keeping the core systems from being tampered with. I have a full 6' server rack, I'd be willing to part with but alas... No doors. Don't suppose it'd be too hard for a some crafty metalworker to fashion up some doors for it though.

Orkraider

Postby Orkraider » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:31 am

Do they have to be metal, or is there such a thing as wooden doors?

RIley
Riley Harrison
facebook.com/rileyharrison

EntropyRising

Postby EntropyRising » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:46 am

Wooden doors?! Who ever heard of such a thing? They would work just fine too as long as holes were drilled for ventalation.

orion
Site Admin

Postby orion » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:43 am

a nice piece of pegboard would work in a pinch or a 2-3in hole saw and a thin piece of board.

DanBackslide

Postby DanBackslide » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Y'know, we have a really big CNC now. Maybe we can design and cut a custom door face out of thin plywood...
73 de KC0DZY

Booka
Global Moderator

Postby Booka » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:36 am

We could even do that with smaller CNC devices, and create Panels, but I agree, we should be able to build or at least customize a rack to make it something to show off...

Or We could just build a life size Tardis for a server closet... But hey, I am just tossing Idea's out there.

KellyM

Postby KellyM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:36 pm

I'll setup the asterisk server, but where do we want phones? How many SIMS do we need, do we have TN's allready, I can provide tn's but I only have 3 SIMS at the moment. We should also setup QOS on the internet connection(PFSense can do this as well) for the phones. I would register the TNs to have a caller ID of TCMaker and also register the correct 911 location.

Having the Asterisk server being connected to a real phone company however does come with restrictions, that are put in place via the FCC. That being the case as it would be tied to my work, I would require that the Asterisk server for the shop be locked to only a few select people having the password to administer it and Long Distance calls will not be routed. Locking it is not just for the regulatory reasons, but voip routing is not a simple thing and if we allow everyone into it, it will never be functioning.

I would however be willing to do an asterisk session for people to learn asterisk on a lab box, or you could attend the Asterisk users group and ask questions.

One other thing, I know I saw a few power bricks there for Cisco phones, but that's somewhat of an inconvience, if anyone has an older POE Cisco switch laying around we could use it for phones.

PS SIMS = Simultainius Media Sessions or external phone calls, TNs = Telephone Numbers.

Return to “Uses/Equipment”