Site Logo

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do we have? An equipment and skills inventory
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Just_in wrote:
Hi there
Call me Justin...

Hi Justin! WOW! You found and posted in the introduction thread! I'm impressed!! Many new members or forum registrants don't read the "Read First" post and find this thread.

We're happy to have you as a member and appreciate all you're bringing to our organization.

If you haven't already learned about our equipment/property sharing options and project/equipment marking tags, please ask or search our forum. Please also remember that any equipment or projects left at the Hack Factory are by no means guaranteed to not suffer loss or damage, intentional or not. So, consider carefully if you bring stuff and whether or not any loss would be something you can bear. We encourage members to carry their own insurance for items they'd like to leave at the space but consider precious enough to insure.

OK, enough poo-poo on sharing! Generally our members are trustworthy and very respectful.

Welcome once again and best wishes for your making, learning, and sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 am 

Hello. I just paid for a membership, thought I would introduce myself. I'm Frank. I do leatherworking and a touch of carpentry, metalworking, woodworking, chainmail, and a variety of other odds and ends. I've got an angle grinder, a circular saw, jigsaw, power drill, assorted hand tools, and a powered shears that can handle up to 16ga steel. I have a fairly lackluster leatherworking tool set and a... 6? 8? inch bench vise.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 pm 

Vince Coffeen

SKILLS (besides Bo Staff Skills)

- Focus
- Listening
- Patience for the earnest
- Lust to learn
- Electrician skills (think larger than pcb)
- Fabrication of metal and plastic, machining,
- Business and Administration

EQUIPMENT

- Electricians tool-bag
- Bridgeport
- Large cutting mat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:18 pm 

Hey All,

My name is Andy Johnson and I dropped by last Wednesday. I have not actually joined yet, but I started a list of things I would like to make to see if I would actually have projects to do and I decided that the list got long enough, so I am going to join next month (going to finish remodeling a house for April 1 and then my free time goes up) and likely take the arduino class, since it looked interesting.

Things I have:

An old server from a company I used to work at. Not sure if it is too useful, but it might be.

My father is a plumber, so I can get access to quite a few plumbing and other tools. I've got two hammer drills in my basement right now, which are pretty cool. I don't think I can just leave them at the hack factory, but if we have a need for something we don't have I can bring things in.

Server rack. I sold my last one to a friend’s company and was going to put this one on CL, but if we have a use for another one, I could just as well donate it.

Family farm: my family has a farm with tractors and all sorts of goodies like that (a broken fork lift as well). I don't know exactly what interest it could be of to the club, but there is a lot of random stuff up that way and much of it is not used (I might bring in a two cylinder motor to putter on and get cleaned up and other things like that).

Skills:

Professionally I am a data analyst of sorts. I studied mathematics, economics and statistics in undergrad and grad school, so I am a good person to talk to if you are looking to do any statistics or machine learning. It does not seem super relevant to a lot of projects, but if I had to select a skill that I have that other people might not, it would likely be this.

Programming: I have worked in VB.NET, C#.NET, VBA, R, SAS, STATA, Matlab, Mathematica along with some webstuff (dreamweaver, html, javascript). I am certainly not a programmer in any real sense of the word, but over the years I have found that I like it and have picked up a few tricks.

Home improvement: I have done quite a few remodeling projects on my house (as well as another house we just bought and my parents house). My father leads the charge on these sorts of things, but I am pretty good at it.
Finding things at auctions: as mentioned above, I have a farm (near Broten, Minnesota) and one of the things I like to do up there is to go to auctions. This means that if there is anything we are interested in getting I could keep an eye out for it. Not really a skill, but could still be relevant.

Basic tool/power tool use: Despite my computer oriented nature, I have been using tools and the likes for as long as I can remember working with my father on things. These days it is mostly limited to working on houses, but hopefully I expand that by joining TCM.

I can also likely beat you at starcraft 2 :D. I am a bit rusty, but I used to float around the top 500 players in the country.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:17 pm 

I'll meet you in the sc2 battlefield sir.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:54 am 

A challanger appears. I am rusty right now, but I am up for playing. [email protected] is my email for my account, just add me and I will likely be on at some point this week, though maybe not too often, since it takes longer to put in a wood floor than I realized.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 pm 

it is ok...i've got alot of school right now :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 am 

Sebastian (Seb) Dangerfield Wiers

Yes, my middle name really is Danger(field).

Skills (mostly low-moderate level):
- welding
- woodworking
- power wiring (I've done 240 & 3 phase)
- mold making (for resin, plaster, concrete)
- web development (what I do for a living; not design, not admin, mostly back end data & behavior)

Equipment:
- 7.5 amp drill press (on long term loan - green drill in metal shop)
- 15 amp work drive circular saw (on long term loan, currently binned in woodshop waiting maintenance / repair)
- angle grinder (small, cheap, like having my own)
- metric socket set (half inch drive, 8mm-19mm)
- .5 inch ratchet & accessories
- various measuring tools, including a 24" vernier calipers (repeatable down to .2mm or so)
- basic home repair stuff

Current Projects:
- "Secapocalypse" (1981 Yamaha xj750 'Seca' based custom motorcycle, estimate ~500 hours work, 100 done)
- Building a fence for my yard (for doggy / child safety) including a 14" wide gate that needs to swing up overhead like a garage door due to space / snow constraints

612 695 fifty-two sixty-six

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:04 pm 

So I just joined up last Wednesday so I am going to introduce myself.

I am Daniel (Dart) and I am from Shakopee.

Equipment:
Metal working equipment:
Flux Wire Welder
AngleGrinder
100 lb Anvil
Wood Working equipment:
Sanders
Table Saw
Electric planner
Dremel with flexi shaft

Skills:
Basic metal welding skills (MIG & TIG)
Basic Blacksmithing/Forging
Woodworking
Advanced Excel/Office 2010 Skills
Advanced foam pumpkin carving (I have about 35 in my halloween display and have sold a couple custom kins)

A couple projects I am going to be working on:
Welding a planter/bird bath together
Creating a fire pit
Welding a silverware organizer
The big project is going to be making a base out of metal and a 8 foot black walnut table top for a kitchen table

Well that is me in a nut shell and what I am going to be working on.
I am open to helping out people if they have projects that need some welding done or extra hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:19 am 

My name is Gabe Heller

I'm poor at the moment so I'm only here month-to-month.

I have a degree in Computer Science and have done many kinds of coding and network setup and such though it's been a few years since I did any for money.
I have lots of old computer stuff, probably older than anyone wants...unless they do.
I have a bunch of random wood pieces left over from a mobile home I salvaged a few years back.

Current Projects (at least the ones I'm working on here; I'm always doing lots of different things)
"Terra Firma" an exploration/technology board game on a map that is built as you go from interchangeable puzzle pieces
Use a router to make window/floor molding for my house from random wood
Learn to weld so I can restore my 1984 VW Rabbit diesel's structural integrity to where it can safely go on the highway again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next