Liquid Handler to 3D Printer Conversion

Area for developing group projects, such as workshop equipment
Thorpedo

Re: Liquid Handler to 3D Printer Conversion

Postby Thorpedo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Maybe now that all the last Thing-O-Matics have been sold out by MakerBot.com and they are no longer in production, maybe Mk7 extruder parts will become available again?

However, I like the idea of using that milling machine to make heater core blocks instead.

Happyk

Postby Happyk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 am

print head arrived a couple days ago..it is at the hf now. We have the mount for the head. The cable for the z axis, the cable for the extruder axis, atx power extention, and an rj45. I can't think of anything else hardware wise.
"insert something witty here"

R10000

Postby R10000 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:32 pm

The PC board have been mounted to an aluminum plate (provided by Kelly). I picked up some 4-40x1/2" flat head allen screws.

This took far longer than anticipated because I had to sand down the spacers as the screws were the longest in stock at Fastenal I was nearest and the others won't be in till Monday.

If someone wants to tackle hooking up the fan, heater, and thermocouple, please do so. Leave at least an extra 6-8" coiled for the print head. To get full travel on the Z-axis, we're going to have to modify things. There seems to have been some disconnect between design and execution on the Z-axis modifications.

I'll try and tackle wiring up the stepper on the existing plugin cable, and leaving pins leftover for the stepper driver to feed the head. Could someone leave a sketch of the pinout on the 6 pin header on the machine if they're in?

Ed

Return to “Group Projects”