Mural?!?

Topics generally related to Twin Cities Maker activities
swinkdaddy

Mural?!?

Postby swinkdaddy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:07 pm

feeling lazy today. whipped up some soviet era factory propaganda and twisted it into hacker space imagery.

torch, circular saw, power drill, laptop, sewing machine. need to get in more i know
Attachments
mural.jpg
Hack factory wall?
mural.jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Have kilt, will travel...

wammie
Site Admin

Re: Mural?!?

Postby wammie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:16 pm

I kinda like it, but we haven't decided yet if the space name is going to be "MN Hack Factory." Also, I don't know if members would go for the militaristic feel, but the industrial look is great in my opinion.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Sorry, I first thought there was a gun in the picture, but I see now it's a torch! Ha! I really like this as a start!

mrebersv

Postby mrebersv » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:50 am

Looks great! I'm all for it.

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Hey, Swinkdaddy has a great talent for this kind of stuff. I don't know if we'll be able to put a mural on the dividing wall of the space, on the outside of the building, or somewhere else, but would everyone be OK with letting Swinkdaddy develop a mural?

I'm all for the Soviet factory propaganda look! Perhaps we could make suggestions, though. When it's done in small form, we can project it on the wall for painting.

Good job, SD!

idris_arslanian

Postby idris_arslanian » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:08 pm

I personally don't care too much for the whole red nostalgia design trend, but I like the design. To me, it evokes Doctorow's Little Brother book cover.

metis

Postby metis » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:07 pm

i like the iconographic style, and the figures, do we want to stress minnesota or factory or making more than a giant "hack"? it just seems a little less friendly somehow to have a big "HACK" in the background of images of the shop.... maybe all caps HFMN ala the CCCP or KMFDM sort of block lettering?

swinkdaddy

Postby swinkdaddy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:41 pm

metis wrote:i like the iconographic style, and the figures, do we want to stress minnesota or factory or making more than a giant "hack"? it just seems a little less friendly somehow to have a big "HACK" in the background of images of the shop.... maybe all caps HFMN ala the CCCP or KMFDM sort of block lettering?

I think your quite right about the large "hack" text. The message would be much more friendly with "Minnesota" large and "hack factory" worked into a subheading either above or below. Definitely worth playing with some different layouts.
Have kilt, will travel...

wammie
Site Admin

Postby wammie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Some ideas to possibly work into this:
  • Spoonapault
  • Mpls/St. Paul skylines
  • Missisippi River
  • Exaggerated perspective for depth effect
  • Other optical illusions(?)
  • Styling like the mining mural at Hibbing High School
  • Armies of "maker" figures wielding tools

noise
Global Moderator

Postby noise » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:39 pm

swinkdaddy wrote:feeling lazy today. whipped up some soviet era factory propaganda and twisted it into hacker space imagery.

torch, circular saw, power drill, laptop, sewing machine. need to get in more i know

Nice work swinkdaddy.

I've never been a fan of trying to clutter up designs with everything we supposedly do (because really, why are we trying to predict that). It should just be something splashy (which you've accomplished) that looks great in the background of all our shop pictures. :D

I think the name Hack Factory should be most prominent, with MN less so, but still present.
Make it happen.

Return to “General Discussion”