Site Logo

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Great Global Hackerspace Challenge- we're in.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:12 am 

http://www.tcmaker.org/blog/2011/03/the ... challenge/

Meeting, tonight at 8pm at the Hack Factory, to get the planning started. We'll need people with cameras and what-not to document this. I'd like to get video, full-audio, and some pictures, of each event, so we can generate some top-notch documentation.

It's on, guys- let's show 'em what we've got.

Post subject: Re: The Great Global Hackerspace Challenge- we're in.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats, this is going to be awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 pm 

drat, wish I had seen this post earlier, and hadn't booked another meeting thing for the same time. grr.

Can I get in on the next meeting?

Riley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Admin

I've made this a global announcement. Sorry I couldn't stay later last night to participate. I'd like to help out where I can. Keep us posted on progress!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:21 pm 

Okay, here's the latest update:

A few of us sat down to talk through some early details last night- nothing earthshaking, just starting the process.
- We came up with a preliminary list of organizations that may be interested in working with us on this project as educational entities.
- We've identified a need for a person or people who can be present to videotape meetings, construction, etc, as well as take photographs of what is happening, so we can post a reasonable amount of documentation on the Element 14 site. In the near future, too, we need to prepare an introductory video.
- We need ideas for specifics on the project.
- We established a Google group for the primary communication channel for this project. This serves several purposes: providing a single, canonical location and channel through which ALL discussion on the project takes place; keeping said content mildly protected until we can release a "pretty" version for public consumption; avoiding the possibility of important messages getting lost in the S/N ratio of the normal Google group or forum traffic; and streamlining message delivery into e-mail inboxes rather than requiring people to visit a special website to get updates.
- Meeting notices and build day announcements will be posted on the blog, and probably the forum and normal Google group as well.

Please sign up for the Google group if you are interested in helping with the project! I will post what information I have on that group tonight.

Tomorrow night from 8:00 to 8:45 there will be a call with the coordinators of the event (the good people of Silverfox to answer questions and get more details. We'll get together at the Hack Factory for the usual jibber-jabber and then repair to the drawing room in the basement a bit before 8 for the call. Or, if there is enough of a critical mass, we'll push the unbelievers out of the classroom and have the call in there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm 

Just to kick this thread again, and remind interested parties to join the GHSC google group to get the nitty gritty detailed updates. You can also check out the Blog we have on Element14, the company sponsoring the contest.

I've put some images up on Flicker as well relative to what we've been building to date, nothing too exciting yet.

We'd would all love more folks to join the google group, sign up on Element14, and contribute in whatever way you can. I think we are tentatively going to have a "build day" next Saturday April 2nd. It may or may not be at the HF. I'll update this thread, or perhaps start one with GHSC specific news and events, if there's enough interest.

We are tagging contest related content with GHSC,

It's a bit hard to find all of the other Hacker Spaces entries on Element14, but we are trying, there's some interesting stuff being considered for the contest, video tours of some of the spaces, and you get a good feel for the philosophies of the different groups, I've found just surfing the entry bits on the competitors I've found interesting, I'm putting together a list of them, as there doesn't seem to be an official one, I'll get it shared soon.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm 

Quick update, I posted to the blog on the molding / forming / casting progress, and just updated it with more of the most recent pics, also there are some interesting experiment pieces and cast offs near baby.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:52 pm 

Wanted to let the team know I picked up the 10x bits, boxed them up and put them on the shelf.

Pete