Learn how to use a CNC router to cut 2D and 3D objects out of a variety of materials. TC Maker has 3 CNC routers available at the Hack Factory, come and learn how to use them and start making your own awesome stuff!
The class will have two parts (Machine Check-out, and CAM gcode creation) with the machine introduction and check-out scheduled for 1pm – 5pm Saturday and the CAM workshop from 10am – 2pm on Sunday.
Intro to CNC Class Sign up here. It’s $45 for the 2 days of class
VERY IMPORTANT! The CNC introduction class is just to demonstrate safe and proficient use of the machines, and everyone will be cutting a pre-selected file that I have prepared. To learn to make and cut your own creations study the tutorials referenced below and come to Sunday’s workshop ready to work, there will be limited lecture and lots of hands on support
Intro to CNC, CNC overview and safe use check-out
Attendees will be provided a 2D gcode file, and need to demonstrate proficiency, by safely cutting the part on the machine.
- Saturday first thing: We will begin with a quick demonstration of how the machines work in the shop
- Saturday early afternoon: Then we’ll cover the safe operation of the machines, and CNC concepts and terminology in the classroom
- Saturday late afternoon: individual user check-out on the machines
Intro to CAM, 2D and 3D Computer Aided Machining (CAM)
Attendees will be given an overview on how to use 2D and 3D CAM software to generate the gcode or tools paths that the CNC machines use to cutout parts. Please see the important notice below on accessing the software before class so you are ready to go!
It is highly recommended you bring a laptop to Sunday’s workshop. To work with 3D files and 3D CAM you must have a Windows computer, or a computer with Wine installed, and have installed the Vectric Cut3D software
- Sunday morning: gcode creation for 2D, and 3D objects.
- Break for Lunch
- Sunday afternoon: individual help with gcode creation, user check-out for those who couldn’t Sat afternoon and cutting of files for the code creation group.